Sunday, October 3, 2010

Indians do not have an accent

Ahh the Indian English. Ok I have to tell you this. The day I was done with my HSC (Higher Secondary) Hindi exam, I was ecstatic cause I never understood if I am writing the correct forward/backward  ई  or उ.

So in Hindi I had troubles with my spellings but in English, my pronunciation. If you watch carefully Hindi seems to be a language where the scriptures tend to exactly follow the pronunciation. Whereas English is a funny language !!

May be if potato was written as [puh-tey-toh] We would not have had any problems in English pronunciation.

But moving on, here are the some words that are commonly mispronounced. I will keep adding them.

potato ----  [puh-tey-toh]
hazard ----  [haaz-erd]
salad  -----  [sal-uhd]
flamingo --  [fluh-ming-goh]
onion -- --   [uhn-yuhn]       
risen  -- --   [riz-uhn]
sardine  --   [sahr-deen]
status  ---   [stat-uhs]  or [stey-tuhs]
patent ---    [pat-nt] this is the US version [peyt-ent] is the UK version
swap  ----    [swop]    frequently mispronounced
tornado ----  [tawr-ney-doh]
vitamin ----  [vit-uh-min]   you will hear this most of the times except the other version being [vayt-uh-min]  
parmesan -- [pahr-muh-zan]
Britain  ----- [brit-n] 
Briton  -----  [brit-n]   Well both have the same pronunciation
better -----   [bet-er]
legacy ------  [leg-uh-see]
squirrel -----  [skwur-uhl]  Be aware that [skwir-uhl] is Brit
tangy -------- [tang-ee] 
stinky -------- [stink--ee] 
vegetable ---- [veg-tuh-buhl]   frequently mispronounced 
latin ----------[ lat-n] 
miracle -------[ mir-uh-kuhl ]