Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Zen and the art of Corolla maintenance PART 1

After putting off the regular 5K mile service for a long time, I had finally decided to get it done. I expected it to be a regular affair. An hour max in the lobby, browsing the internet until I get my car and run off to the job. But almost after an hour later, Felix (the guy handling my car) came and sat besides me. He looked quite serious. I knew something was wrong. I did not hear a word what he said but just looked at the final figure on the sheet he had in his hand... It was $560.00 I just choked.



I was in shock for a while. He had come to ask me, if I was fine with the estimate. I had the option to reject his services and take my car somewhere else but where would I go ?. I did not have time. I looked over the sheet. They were quite serious, alignment needed, uneven usage of brake pads, water pump leaking, tires getting worn out unevenly, etc. I tried to eliminate something which was not important but everything was important. I told Felix, "Yes, Go ahead" feeling like I was not prepared for this.


Since I was still in the lobby I just waited and browsed. And somehow I just came across the words "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance ". clicked on it. It is a book written by Robert Pirsig. The title seemed interesting and fortunately I found the online version of the book. Completely Free. Its available here http://design.caltech.edu/Misc/pirsig.html. Honestly I haven't read the whole book. But going through first few chapters I grasped a few concepts that the author is trying to express.




It was something related to what I had just experienced. In the book, the Narrator describes two personalities, one who is looking for quality in life by exploring every tiny detail. And the other who chooses to live a romantic life like a zen without worrying about too much details. The plot laid out in the book was that few motor-cyclists go for a long ride from Minnesota to California. And on the way they experience technical problems with their motor-cycles. Every rider had a different way of accepting the challenge. John, one of the characters decides to remain aloof from the technicality of the issue rather he just hopes a mechanic would take care of the trouble. On the other hand Phaedrus hates professional mechanics. He would even hate to give his bike to a mechanic. He preferred to diagnose and repair the bike himself. On occasions he even helps John with his bike. Phradeus was the one looking for quality in life and everything.


Pirsig goes on to support Phradeus's way of life where searching for quality in life should be the ultimate goal. Rather seeking help from a heartless mechanic, Pharedeus looks after his motor-cycle himself and by doing that he finds inner peace. I don't know how the book ends but I am eager to find out. But until then I know, I am like John who gets frustrated with the car issues and I need to embrace Phradeus's way of life.