Tuesday, May 27, 2014

How to find a well tested laptop / Phone / Tablet ?

Here's how I used to check reviews of a product that I was interested in.
1. check editor reviews on engadget.com
2. check editor reviews on CNET.com
3. check video reviews on youtube

After absorbing all the rich mixed media, I believed that I had enough confidence to take the decision.
Especially after the reassurances from the editors on CNET/Engadget, I was satisfied with my research until one of friends went
"BUT, I heard a lot of complaints about......"

Back to the scratch board [search-bar] this time checking for Actual User Reviews.
Thinking in my mind I will prove that my friend was wrong.
1. check user reviews on Amazon.com. Especially read reviews with 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars.
2. check user reviews on Bestbuy.com and other retailers. Especially read reviews with 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars.

But it turns out he was right. I would end up seeing lots of red flags in the product.
Then how come I did not see the red flags earlier while reading the editor reviews ?

Problem....huh! What's the solution then?
I found one -- go to www.notebookcheck.net

Here's why ?
Unlike other websites, notebookcheck.net has posted ALL the actual results (EVIDENCE)
of the tests conducted. All the editors use the same criteria and procedure for testing hence making it easy to compare competing products. Check the link below.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Our-Test-Criteria.15394.0.html

Some tests are really cool like these ones.
-Display tests: gridwise maximum brightness, contrast, color space reproduction,
                outdoor screen brightness, screen brightness when the screen is tilted.
-Mass Storage PCs: read/ write speed test.
-Emissions: Noise level in idle and max load, Gridwise Temperature in max load and idle states.
            These results are really helpful if you are considering buying a laptop for dusty environments [India !].
-Battery Life tests: High Performance profile tests are used instead of some easy tests.

The other things that I love about their website are
THE CENTER COLUMN provides a quick overview and overall satisfaction rate.
Besides if you are in a hurry and don't have time to read through the entire material then
JUST LOOK OUT FOR THE TEXT IN BOLD. They provide the main highlights and the RED FLAGS :) of the device.

And finally let me put actually put the website to test.
I have collected the RED FLAGS from 4 sources as you can see below.
I am trying to use the User reviews as a reference and trying to figure out
which editor was able to find most of the issues faced by users early on.
More the match, the better job he did.


CNET vs User Reviews:
3/5 Matches. nobody complained about dimmer screen or bad voice quality.

Engadget vs User Reviews:
2/2 Matches. Amazing Job.

notebookcheck.net vs User Reviews:
7/8 Matches. Isn't that a good number now ?

Overall I feel, if you want to collect your RED FLAGS quickly always read User Review + notebookcheck.net.