Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dabba Inspiration !

We were at the usual spot where we would eat our lunch. Its at a small table in the balcony of the third floor, overlooking the greenery of Austin. 



Bharat was very hungry and opened his tiffin box. He had got this amazing Methi Paratha and Alloo sabjee. It was as if  Sanjeev Kapoor had himself made the food and packed it in a dabba. Nagarjun and me took a small bite and enjoyed the delicious food. And we appreciated Bharat, how good his cooking was.

Nagarjun is also a good cook. He had brought this typical South Indian style Sambar and Parathas. And it was just amazing. The Sambar was flawless. It was as if he had years of training of making the perfect Sambhar.

Next I opened up my dabba and everybody peeked in. Bharat made a face and said "Ohh boiled veggies again, I can't eat those anyday". I wasn't amused knowing Bharat has a very high standard for taste. And boiled veggies were nothing but just bland. 

Bharat kept quiet for a while but after sometime, he just couldn't stand it and told me "Why are you eating boiled veggies ? Why don't you make something at home ?" I told him "Well, I just don't have enough time to cook". Bharat was furious now, he told me "Well, then what about us, we do almost the same chores that you do and still prepare the food, then what's your problem ?". I told him " I just don't have any inspiration ".

I could see Bharat and Nagarjun accept that point very well. And at this point I felt the difference between them and me was that I lacked the interest and discipline in making food everyday. I asked Bharat "What is your inspiration ?". His explanation was that he just couldn't do without a good tasty meal. He would feel upset if he did not have his typical diet. He went on and talked about his discipline. He said how he disregards everything when it comes to cooking. Nagarjun also had almost the same views. He did like to eat the proper home made meal.

Well it made me think and I came home and tried few things that Bharat told me. It was quite tough but I tried it. Next day I took rice and dal and everybody was impressed. And with that I got a little appreciation which was crucial for me to carry on that discipline. 

A little Inspiration and a little Appreciation, that's it and I started cooking again.