Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Motoactv review

Almost 5 weeks were left for the half marathon and I decided to order my Motoactv 8GB, a fitness tracking device. The reason I had got the device was to track my performance over time and keep myself motivated.

In comparison to other products out there, Motoactv had much superior features. Some of the unbeatable features were automatic performance upload via wifi, inbuilt android os, color display, different skins for watch, and software updates, MP3 music player and FM radio. The only thing I was worried about was the battery performance.

I must have received the device just a few days before my b'day, it came with a set of sweat proof headphones but I had to order strap separately. I was really impressed with the design of the watch and the strap. The device was sturdy and strong but still light weight.

The main selling point of the device was the smart MP3 player which learns to map the performance with the music .And with that it creates playlists to motivate the most. And the device also featured tracking heart beats. But to me these sounded like gimmicks. I was just interested in keeping track of some basic data like speed and time elapsed. After my first run I could summarize that,  basic things like speed and time are very well recorded with the GPS location. But the problem comes when the music is playing in the background cause the battery life just reduces to half. After that experience I decided to never play the music again.

Over the coming weeks I got new software updates to improve battery life. But the most creative feature that I liked was the final performance data presentation. Here is the data recorded during my half marathon: http://bit.ly/IRvAoN